Read Write Inc
Read Write Inc. is a method of learning centered around letter sounds and phonics, and we use it here at St Michael’s to aid children in their phonics.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using Read Write, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using Read Write to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- learn to read words using Fred Talk.
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out.
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using Read Write to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk.
- write simple sentences.
- compose stories based on picture strips.
- compose a range of stories based on writing frames.
For more advice on phonics, visit the parent's website at www.oxfordowl.co.uk
You will find:
- Top tips to help your child with their reading, from Ruth Miskin
- Phonic pronunciation help
- Fun activities to help embed their early learning
Read write Inc.
In order for you to help your child at home, below are listed the “red words that correspond to the colour text of the RWI series. Feel free to help your child learn the words of the colour books that they are on. Try and resist the temptation to forge ahead and learn too many as they also need to be able to recognise the words in context. Also the children need to be able to recall the red words rather than sound them out. This is because they tend to be non-phonetic spellings.
If you have any queries at all, please speak to your child’s class teacher.
Ditties Red Words
Green Books Red Words
Purple Books Red Words
Pink Books Red Words
Orange Books Red Words
Yellow Books Red Words
Blue Books Red Words
Grey Books Red Words